Wednesday 14 May 2014

Jinny at Finmory

I love reading to the girls before they go to sleep. A has always enjoyed her bedtime story right from 12 weeks old when we bought her 'Oscar et ses amis' on our first holiday to France as a family. P on the other hand uses story time to get to sleep and rarely hears the end of a chapter. She must have a very potted version of Enid Blyton in her head.

I have to admit I am always slightly disappointed by the kids books, only a very few get the thumbs-up from me although I have never heard A say she didn't enjoy a story. The Famous Five always have adventures in caves, with treasure, a baddie and some sliding panels. Roald Dahls stories are always so wonderful at the beginning, the middle enchanting and then I'm left feeling flat at the end. Some I just can't read out, those fairy stories or ones about kittens - as much as I like kittens. But the Jinny at Finmory series is something else, yes it is essentially about a girl and her horse but so much more than that.


I remember reading these stories as a child, I was perhaps about eleven, imagining I was the protagonist, galloping over the wild moors and feeling the horses breath in the morning mist. When I am reading the stories to the girls they are enthralled, P doesn't fall asleep and they are both at the edge of their beds. They want to be Jinny too and the magical language - certainly not dumbed down for children - takes them right out of their sleepy selves. I find it difficult to read out for that familiar lump in my throat and tears pricking at the emotional parts, the house at Finmory is just as I imagined it as a child, but now I understand it so much more. Maybe Jinny at Finmory had a real influence on my life and I am only just finding that out now.

You see, the stories are about a family who ditch the rat race. A family who give up city living to buy a crumbling farm house in the Scottish Highlands beacause the dad is so disillusioned with his role as a probation officer. He decides to make pots instead, grow vegetables and write a book. They have three children, Jinny being the red-haired wild child who loses herself in her drawings and horse fantasies. The children ride their shaggy highland ponies to school  - a school they hate - but Jinny really wants to save Shantih, a wild chestnut Arab mare who has escaped the circus and is running free on the moors. Determination, adventure, magic, Celtic powers and alternative living provide a fantastic story.  A story about bucking the system and questioning opinions, of attainable dreams and pure childhood as free as it should be.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness exactly the same for me! I read these to my boys and I choke up on places! Haha they think I’m mad when I do that but brings back so much emotion of my dream as a child to be Jinny and own Shantih!
    These books are so much more to me than books they shaped my life! I now have my “Shantih” and she’s also the newest horse on the covers! Dreams really do come true and Patricia Leitch gave it to me through these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! This blog is now 7 years old and my children are 15 and 13 now! We have our own horses at last and moved to Mallorca on a whim...bucking the system and roaming the lanes, through dusty Spanish villages, shouting hola to the old men who harvest almonds as we pass. Not quite the Scottish highlands but definitely a dream attained. Lovely to be brought back to this blog...and I wish you many happy times on your 'Shantih' xxx

      Delete