Friday 27 July 2012

Olympics London 2012

I can't believe the Olympics are here already. Not because I am awaiting London to host this prestigious event, not because I love sport, not because I have tickets even. I can't believe the Olympics are here because that means my big girl must be six and a half, and those six and a half years have gone very quickly indeed.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard that London had won the Olympic bid. I was sat at my desk in the office in West London when a huge cheer reverberated around the room, we were to host the Olympics 2012. I clutched at my belly, not yet swollen, a secret inside me and thought:

"When the London 2012 Olympics are here, my little boy or girl will be six and a half,"

I imagined holding his or her hand around the Olympic village and going to the cross country day of the equestrian eventing.

And here we are, the most fabulous six and a half years later. The baby turned out to be a she, the most lovely she, a kind, sensitive, giggly she, a thoughtful and imaginative she. My darling A. I can't believe the Olympics are here and you are six and a half.

Pity we haven't got tickets.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, you can still enjoy watching it all, my two eldest (9 & 5.5) can't wait to watch the swimming & gymnastics, I'm glad we didn't get tickets, or we would have had to chose which we saw!

    Your daughter sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you so much for your kind words.

    I had another quick look and there are dressage tickets at £95 for eventing, but the children would be so bored, there is no way he would come and I don't know if it would be the same on my own. Oh er and yes, £95 is a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. And I had exactly the same thing! It was so impossible to imagine that tiny life being 6 but here she is all loudness and brightness and my life is utterly changed!

    We are going to the paralymics. Just want to experience the whole vibe really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I think I am going to buy tickets for the equestrian paralympics. The story won't be complete otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete